Knitting is cozy, calming, and fun – and can be a heck of a learning curve if you Google how to begin. There are some great tutorials out there, but if you’re looking for everything you need to get started all in one place, Bluprint has your back with a knitting kit, video tutorials, and everything you need.
Product: Bluprint Box: Knitting
Price: $90.00 (this is reduced to about $60.00 if you become a member!)
Cheapest Place to Buy: Bluprint Box: Knitting – mybluprint.com
My Rating: 8.5 out of 10
Knitting Kit or Buying Everything Yourself?
Bluprint is just one of many options out there for people to learn crafts like knitting, cake decorating, embroidery, and crochet. However, the biggest learning element for many people is time.
None of us really have the time to sit down and find all of the information we think we need – and realize that we don’t know what we don’t know! (Did that make sense? If not send more coffee to my desk, stat).
You save some money buying stuff on your own, downloading free patterns and watching videos on Youtube, but the patterns may not be professionally tested, you might have to skimp on cheaper yarn and needles, and you’d have to piecemeal the training together on Youtube.
Let’s see what Bluprint can offer, instead!
So, in the knitting box, you receive:
- 3 printed patterns included with your supplies for a stripey hat, waffle stitch cowl, and fingerless mitts!
- 2 Cloudborn Highland Roving skeins (Oatmeal Heather)
- Cloudborn Superwash Merino Bulky skein (Maize Heather)
- Cloudborn Superwash Merino Bulky skein (Grey Heather)
- Cloudborn Highland Worsted skein (Ocean)
- Craftsy Trendz Bamboo 36in Circular Knitting Needle Size US 17 (12.5mm)
- Craftsy Trendz Circular Knitting Needles US 11 (8mm)
- Craftsy Bamboo Circular Knitting Needles US 7 (4.5mm)
- Tapestry needles (2 large and 2 small)
- Zooni Stitch markers (7 ct)
- Small scissors
- Bluprint canvas tote
- Access to the Startup Library: Knitting Class
Wait, There’s a Class? Awesome!
Not only do you get instructions and tools, but Bluprint offers lifetime access to their teaching classes, as well. You’ll learn from expert crafter Susan B Anderson how to utilize the tools in the box, and how to get started with a good foundation of knitting.
You’ll learn about types, sizes, and weights of yarn, fiber content, how to work from both a skein and a ball, and how to wind yarn with both a yarn winder and your hands. You’ll also get a walkthrough on how to read yarn labels, and where to buy quality yarn.
Included in the class are instructions and videos teaching you how to cast on, work a knit stitch, purl stitch, and ribbing in both English and continental styles. You’ll learn how to bind off and finish a project professionally, how to read a pattern, knit in the round, and shape your projects. You’ll also learn how to change colors as you knit, and how to fix mistakes!
That’s a pretty dang great deal for a class!
All of the box elements are relevant to the class, and she will walk you through putting together a cowl, a striped hat, and some fingerless mitts – all included in the box!
Not only do you get access to the class, but when you purchase a Bluprint Box: Knitting you receive one-month free access to ALL of their training tools. It’s essentially a free month to their subscription service included with your purchase!
Also, if you’re already a subscriber, you get 15% off of your purchase of the box.
What’s the catch here?
Well, the box is an investment at $90.00. If you decide to invest in their subscription, you’ll receive 15% off, and 25% off in July (their birthday month!) However, if you purchase the elements individually, you will spend more than that, and you might have to make more than one trip back to the store for something you forgot.
The class may not be perfect for everyone, but for those of us who are visual learners and like to see stitches done rather than read about them – it works very well.
The videos are professionally crafted, easy to maneuver through, and you can rewatch the same thing until you get it without someone getting frustrated at you (speaking from experience!).
The products are of good quality, but you may find that you prefer metal needles, different yarn, or types of patterns. This is meant to be a starting point for beginners and will help you determine which tools you prefer to use, and which you’d rather not.
Ultimately – this box and class get you started with a better foundation than those of us who started piecemeal ever had!
Is It Worth It?
Quick answer: YES.
Here’s why – I went through and priced everything out that I could find for you from both online stores and JoAnns. Keep in mind that these are just the elements in the box, not the class or free month of access to all of the subscription services.
- 3 printed patterns included with your supplies – Some patterns are free, others are up to 5.00 per pattern on sites like Ravelry
- 2 Cloudborn Highland Roving skeins (Oatmeal Heather) – 15.00 per skein
- Cloudborn Superwash Merino Bulky skein (Maize Heather) – 13.00 per skein
- Cloudborn Superwash Merino Bulky skein (Grey Heather) – 13.00 per skein
- Cloudborn Highland Worsted skein (Ocean) – 10.00 per skein
- Craftsy Trendz Bamboo 36in Circular Knitting Needle Size US 17 (12.5mm) – 13.99
- Craftsy Trendz Circular Knitting Needles US 11 (8mm) – 11.99
- Craftsy Bamboo Circular Knitting Needles US 7 (4.5mm) – 7.39
- Tapestry needles (2 large and 2 small) – 1.99 per needle
- Zooni Stitch markers (7 ct) – 2.75
- Small scissors – 9.49
This doesn’t include the tote, class, or subscription month!
Total: $119.57 – at the cheapest.
What do you think? Worth the time and investment to learn a new hobby, continue learning and creating, and have plenty of supplies to work with? I definitely think so!!
Leave a comment below if you’ve had the opportunity to try this box and class, and let me know what you thought of it!